Wednesday, October 26, 2011

TIHAR festival 2011




 
Yesterday was the start of a great celebration for TIHAR (the festival of lights, same timing as Deepwali in India) here in Pokhara with lots of lights (like Christmas) candles, local kids dancing for money, singing at all the businesses. Families got together to sing, drink and dance. Very festive. Even at the hotel, the owner's relatives came and danced in the courtyard for a few hours. They even made me dance with them, but fortunately did not make me drink rakshee, the home-made wine! It is like turpentine, awful stuff.
 
I went to the Blue Planet lodge yesterday to check out the new lodge where we will have 3 nights in February for the Yoga retreat. Had tea with Ram the owner, and Sabine (lady from Belgium married to him) invited me to a Tibetan singing bowl meditation. About 15 people showed up and it was to celebrate the new moon, setting healing intentions, etc. Walked home in the dark and past many mandalas with candles, more singing and dancing. I would have missed some of this if I was trekking. Sabine said there may be a chance to join the family festivities on the most important day tomorrow on a local mountain called Sarankot, provided there is room on the bus. 

A wee update for you. After trekking 12 days on a sore knee in the Langtang, I developed an inflammation and numbness in my left knee. Went to the Westerner's clinic and they xray'd, and with consultation with an orthopedic surgeon, suggested Voltarin, an anti-inflammatory drug, physiotherapy, exercises and not to trek for at least a week. I was most disappointed to not be able to go with the group, so I am waiting in Pokhara for them to finish trekking. The doctor said I have Yoga knee (similar to housemaids knee - I said it must be yoga knee, then! It results from overuse and of course being on my knees so much in yoga. It is slowly getting better.

Namaste,
Neil

No comments: