Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Peace Stupa

AS some of you know, I have been resting in Pokhara to give my knee a rest. I decided to test my legs and walk 3-4 kms to the Peace Stupa, up 350 meters in elevation on the hill above Pokhara. The last time I was there was 2006 when the Maoists were still demanding "donations" on the trail access to the Stupa. 

Om, the manager at the hotel, suggested I take his son, Kushal, with me for the experience and, since he had a day off school, he could practice his English. (He spoke very well and confidently.) We left around 9:30 in the morning. and made our way through the rice farms and up a new road that has been recently built. I heard there is even local bus service up to the stupa now. Progress?


We arrived at 1103m and what view over Pokhara, except it has been quite hazy in recent days. The stupa is in a prominent location on a ridgeline above the valley with an amazing view of the city. 

No comments: