Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Teaching English

Several years ago, I completed a TESOL course(Teaching English to Students of Other Languages) with Oxford to use at some point in future overseas.

While out on a walk after Tihar, school was back in and I turned into a lane to check out a local school called L.P. Devkota English Boarding School. I met the teachers and the principal. The school has 580 students from kindergarten age to class 10. The principal invited me to lead the class 9 English class as the teacher had not returned from holidays. Great, so we read, talked, and spoke about things we like about Nepal and Canada. They were very curious, entertaining and open.




Next day I was invited to lead 2 classes of English with their class 10. I discovered that over 50% said their favorite book was Muna Madan, by Laxmi Prasad Devkota, the same name as the school! L.P. Devkota is Nepal's best known poet. The English teacher came that day and I had some difficulty understanding him. This is fairly common when Nepali teachers learn their conversational English in Nepal Universities. Their written and general comprehension is usually good, but unfortunately they do not have the best pronunciation.



I really enjoyed the opportunity and the principal has invited me to return any time when I am back in Pokhara. Another interesting experience in Nepal. 

No comments: